Mar 21, 2010

Time and Space Fold - The Dream State Continues

My Guiding Spirit has over the course of the last week or so continued to think on the concepts of a Knight in Dented Armor and the Lady who loves, and is loved by, him. There have been numerous things which have come into her mind and have therefore caused my own heart and mind to dream dreams of my ancestors once more.

I saw her again. Sìleas. This time her lodgings were quite different. Not the large, comfortable home, but a tent in a field. There was an acrid smoke all around and many more tents - not unlike her own. She was writing in a journal. Even in my dream I seemed to think how very like her I am - never one to shy away from hard work, or even, battle. But also soft and soft-hearted. Journal writing must be a way of life for the women of my mother's clan - the Frasers. Clearly I keep my own personal and professional journals, but I can also recall both my mother and her mother doing the same.

Sìleas sat quietly in the relative peace of her tent near the battlefield making notes of one thing or another. The evening grew cold, however, as she waited for Gawter to return from the commanding officer's tent. She stood to tend the fire, and as she began to bring it back to a healthier warmth, she heard the sound of slow footsteps approaching. She turned to see a massive shape between herself and any light the moon was giving. She was carefully stepping backwards toward her side of the sleeping rug to find her sword so as to defend herself. All the while she watched the beast of a man approaching. Suddenly he stopped and grunting he lifted something up in the air. With a quick whoosh and a loud thump something hit the ground at her feet.

"I brought ye a gift, mo Chroí," Gawter said, grinning and pushing his large hands through his tousled red hair.

"A present, eh?" Sìleas said as she caught the scent of this...heap of....something at her feet.
"OH! It's.....it's a real......"

"Highland Grey Wolf blanket," he interrupted. "I won it playing
draughts with the officers."

She picked up the blanket and inspected it. It had clearly been crafted with the skins of at least three wolves - for it was huge. It was also relatively clean for a blanket that was utilized by an officer in his battle quarters, though the smell of its wild, original owners was still close at hand.

"This is marvelous, Gawter! It's huge!"

It was certainly long and wide enough that two people could lie snuggled in its warmth - provided they did not mind sleeping close. The thought of crawling into the enveloping shelter, warm and cozy, after so many nights on this battlefield shivering under plaids and thin blankets was intoxicating.

Gawter appeared to be thinking along the same lines.

"Big enough for the two of us, " he said and he delicately reached over and touched her neck, then her breast.

"Oh really?" Sìleas replied smiling and arching a coy brow.

He leaned more closely to her and she caught his own scent about the gamy tang of the wolf blanket - dry leaves, peat and wood smoke, sweet whisky, all adding depth to the deep male scent of his skin.

"I could find you in a dark room full of a dozen warriors," she said inhaling deeply and enjoying it immensely.

Gawter laughed softly. "I donna doubt it, mo Chroí; I havena bathed in a week."

He put his hands on her shoulders and bent his head until their foreheads touched. Then he whispered, "I want to unlace the neck o' your shift, make love to you, and fall asleep wi' my head pillowed on your naked body. Really," he added standing up and looking at her straight in the eyes.

"Oh, " Sìleas said. "What a good idea."



**A song discovered by my typist just this weekend with many lyrics which ring true to the Knight and Lady. (The video is that of more modern times - from an XBox 360 game.)**

excerpts of lyrics from War by Poets of the Fall.


Do you remember standing on a broken field
White crippled wings beating the sky
The harbingers of war with their nature revealed
And our chances flowing by

If I can let the memory heal
I will remember you with me on that field

When I thought that I fought this war alone
You were there by my side on the frontline
When I thought that I fought without a cause
You gave me a reason to try

Turn the page I need to see something new
For now my innocence is torn
We cannot linger on this stunted view
Like rabid dogs of war

I will let the memory heal
I will remember you with me on that field

When I thought that I fought this war alone
You were there by my side on the frontline
And we fought to believe the impossible
When I thought that I fought this war alone
We were one with our destinies entwined
When I thought that I fought without a cause
You gave me the reason why...................


0 comments: